Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming ...

Books aren't written, they're rewritten. ~ Michael Crichton

There is no great writing, only great rewriting. ~ Justice Brandeis

Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending. 
~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


So, what do a fish named Dori and these three famous fellows have in common? They're all telling me to stop getting bogged down in the muck of my writing; they're sick of me drowning in my own less-than-perfect writing and not finishing anything.


I've been writing, writing, writing for several years now, but I have yet to accomplish the greater art Longfellow refers to. So I'm taking Chrichton and Brandeis's advice in one hand and Dori's words of encouragement in the other, and--armed with them both--I'm going to become that "greater artist" Longfellow mentions ... the one who actually finishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags