Monday, March 22, 2010

So that's my problem ...

"I found my first novel difficult. I don't want to make it sound like it's any more difficult than driving a cab or going to any other job, but there are so many opportunities for self-doubt, that you just kind of need to soldier on." ~ Anthony Doerr 


Nathan Bransford, he of the indispensable writer's blog, tossed an incredibly helpful post in the blogosphere today. I'm busy trying to finish grades for this marking period, so it's not likely I'll have more than a few minutes to further my writing tonight. But his post was a really encouraging nod toward the psychological difficulties inherent in producing good writing. He references the Dunning-Kruger Effect: 


"The basic theory is that when people are incompetent at something they tend to lack the ability to realize it and they overrate their abilities relative to others. Meanwhile, people who actually are good at something tend to underrate their abilities and may as a result suffer from lack of confidence."


So, yep. I think I'm going to buy into this version of possibilities. That I really do have what it takes to create something that people will enjoy. That it will definitely not be perfect the first (however many) drafts, but that it will be solid enough writing to catch the eye and convince the heart of the right agent and editors and publishers. 


I need to keep reminding myself not to agonize (too much) over writing that will be subjected to others' opinions at a later date anyway. A little agonizing is definitely called for. After all, Francine Prose reminds us writers to "put every word on trial for its life." But I need to remember that I have an endless number of court cases to hold and it's going to be often necessary to call the jury back and demand a verdict so I can move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags